Wednesday, 20 April 2016

Cycling in the Yorkshire Dales

Last weekend, 20 of us from my Tri club travelled up to the Dales for our 4 day  Spring cycling camp. We stayed in a youth hostel in Kettlewell and I shared a room with 4 others -  fun but not a recipe for a good nights sleep!
It was my first visit to the Dales and the landscape is truly beautiful: vast empty spaces, lots of sheep & lambs, postcard villages and lanes lined with daffodils.
We arrived Friday lunch time and the first ride set the pace: long climbs with fast descents, stunning scenery, blustery wind and changeable weather. 60 miles in the Dales is not the same as 60 miles in Berkshire. It's proper cycling there!
When out on a bike for the day, stopping for lunch is a welcome break. Nowhere was busy so we had the pick of the tea shops, I reckon the cafes must be heaving with people in the summer.

I was also presented with some Boomf marshmallows, apparently sent to me by Krispy Kreme because I am a loyal customer ... an ongoing TVT in-joke ... they occasionally refer to me as 'Krispy Green'.
There is already talk of next years trip, and I for one will be signing up ...

No comments: